Childrens Winter Corner

 A Children's Winter Corner

It's such a delight to see my littles immersed in imaginative play in their toy corner. I set it up for the seasons,  or a current lesson theme. December's winter scene is for their peg dolls, characters, and woodland animals. I found mini candy canes, sparkly snowflakes and other little trinkets at Hobby Lobby. The wood mountains and trees are from Jo-Ann Fabrics, and the houses are from Ikea and Target. 


The featured book is >"All Around Bustletown: Winter" and is such a fascinating seek and find book series. Each page is filled with dozens of things to look at, and find from page to page. There are even a few nuns that make their way through the scenes.


You can tell your children are paying attention to the details of your traditions, when they mimic it with their own toys. I noticed my children moving their Little People Wise Men around the house throughout Advent and Christmas, just as I do with our own set. Make sure they have a >Nativity Set< that they can play with, hopefully leaving your fragile set alone. One year I painted a Holy Family Peg Doll set which they like in their winter playthings.


I also keep ziplocked bags of activities for the children to take up if they need something creative to do while they await my availability. I love the printable holiday playdough placemats you can find online, which are usually free to print then laminate for longevity. The children also enjoyed having a pile of >Plastic Mini Bulbs and Trinkets< as well as our cookie cutters to make playdough Christmas trees and other such things.


I'm not sure if the toddlers/preschoolers or I like the Sensory Bins more. I really enjoy finding things to add to it each season.  For winter,  we have a snowy seek and find bin.  
It contains crystals and gems for ice, tinsel pom poms, peppermints, glittery toys, bells, mini presents, mini snowmen, winter houses,  an ornament, woodland animals, arctic animalsholiday peg doll characters bought or homemade,  and more. Determine your items based on age,  so there are no choking hazards for littles. {Hover over and click item words for referral links.}
Top it off with snowy cotton balls! Then I add a bowl with grabbers and scoops for them to collect the items they find. 

We added a lot of >Jingly Bells< to the >Magnet Tile Set<, and they really love this addition to all their creations.

They look a little sad in the picture, but we really did enjoy making these >Crystal Chemi-Trees!<

It was fun to design coloring pages for The Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary which we focus on in December and January. You can find these through >my post The Joyful Mysteries.<

Every once in awhile we sit down for a simple Tea Lunch. This one was held on Saint Andrew's Day when we begin the Christmas Novena. All ages seem to like this time to eat simply, use our table manners, take out special dishes, and just talk with each other or read a story aloud.

Children get antsy, and in the winter when the lights are on at night, why not have a holiday dance party!? 

There is nothing like getting out to build a great snowman, go sledding or skating,  or have a snowball fight. We like going on a walk through the snow at the park, in the quiet stillness if winter. My children also had such great fun bowling with snow on the patio table!


I hope some of these ideas spark interest for you and your children! 


SOME OF MY RECOMMENDATIONS 

CAN BE FOUND IN MY AMAZON SHOP

Look for the Advent - Christmas Folder

www.amazon.com/shop/homegrowncatholics

*Thank you for using my referral links, which won't cost you anything extra,  but will support me in creating more content for this blog.


Nearby, above their play kitchen, is a reminder of what our focus (candle) is this week. These cards came from Catholic Family Crate. The electric candles are vintage from my mother,  but can still be found online here. I say always find a way to integrate faith into their playtime if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you were inspired! Please share what you liked, new ideas, etc - I would love to know what my readers are thinking!