Summer Reading Challenge

 

My first child loved to read, all the time; couldn't get enough books. She read most everything I offered her, and gave me evaluation if I should offer it to her siblings. Most books I've chosen from my favorites, the classics, and reputable sources of recommendations. I thought this would be the pattern for all my children. 
Her personal library is significant, and we also have two family libraries in our home for books that aren't in bedrooms. We've donated baskets and boxes full of books that were not up to standard, and we still have a good sized collection of fiction and non-fiction. We've become more mindful over the years what we allow and what's a keeper.
(Other library pic coming soon, in reorganizing mode)

However, the next three teens have been a challenge when it comes to getting them to read the books I bought and put on their homeschool shelves as mandatory reading. Somehow, they missed the "you MUST read these this year" part of their assignments. They go on to read other books of low quality or questionable content by borrowing them from friends or a quick grab at the library. Other days they don't want to read because their curriculum is heavy on the reading. They're also SLOW readers.  I save negative consequences for more serious matters, and I've tried to be lenient and foster their love of reading whatever they choose. It's made for good discussion. So it's never been a serious matter for them to read everything I offer.
So how do I incentivize my children to read the books I took the time and consideration to pick out for them? 
Bring on the Summer Reading Challenge rewards system. There are enough books still on the shelves this summer that they chose to ignore, so I created this reward system, with their input, if they read those books. I'll also give them a small reward for giving me a written review of the books they read of their own choosing. With a reasonable goal of  2 good sized chapter books per month, another reward is given for reaching 6 books, with oral or written reviews. 


An Overview of the sheet: 

For every TEACHER CHOICE you read,  AND give an oral review, you earn: A REWARD TICKET [A day without chores. 1 Hour gaming/arcade OR Visit a Playground. Choice of family movie. Lunch out with Mom. Outing with Dad. Permission to sleep in.]

For every chapter book you read of YOUR CHOICE, AND write/type up a review, you earn:  Fill in the line with something they'd like. [such as time to paint, visit a museum, a round of golf, go to the pool, get a new something they've wanted, etc.]

For Reading 6 Books with Reviews: A Reward or Activity of Your Choice [Such as a Movie, Dessert, Friend Over, MP3 song, Outing, Kindle Book, etc… (up to $5 Value)]


Why not something the local library offers for a summer reading program? 
Because then we have to go to the library where they will ask for books that are not of the quality I want them to read. Books that  Charlotte Mason and GK Chesterton would consider better for starting a fire which to read a better book by. However, they may reserve books from the library on our list if we chose not to buy them. And they may still turn in the local library's summer reading program slips when we go to pickup. We do utilize the library for movies and audiobooks, especially movies made from the books they've read.
Why include book reviews for summer reading? 
That is how I can best evaluate that they read and comprehended the books. Also, because I often chose books with virtuous character development and meaningful content, there is more to discuss. Finally, the books I add were originally for during their school year, where I'd require the review. Notice, I gave the easier oral report for my book choices, and the more challenging written report for their choices. Yet, another incentive to gravitate towards my picks.



Whether you print out this free bookmark and rewards tickets, or devise your own, I hope it has inspired you in motivating those reluctant readers. If you have any other ideas for motivation or rewards, please share in the comments! I'd like to have a variety of reward tickets for them to choose from over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you were inspired! Please share what you liked, new ideas, etc - I would love to know what my readers are thinking!